27 x 37 cm
William Wilson OBE RSA RSW (1905-1972) was a huge figure in many fields of the arts, producing some of the best stained-glass windows, watercolours and prints in Scotland at the time. He left school early and worked as a map-maker before joining the stained-glass studio of James Ballantine and Son in 1920. Wilson was able to attend evening classes at Edinburgh College of Art, where he began making prints. His skill as a draughtsman and his celebration of the everyday that one sees in his prints,can also be found in his stained-glass windows. During his career he produced over 300 windows, for churches, cathedrals and secular buildings all over Scotland, including St Mary’s in Haddington.
This watercolour could have been painted one of his trips to Haddington with his friend William Gillies. This view of Nungate Bridge on the River Tyne has not changed much over the decades. Wilson has used a little artistic licence to get this perspective of Gimmers Mill (now Pure Malt) and the Garleton Hills behind. It must have been painted on the Giffordgate side of the river bank, just down from the Waterside pub.